The NHL might not be America’s favorite pastime, but the sports league is undoubtedly quite cool now that it’s legal to wager on in Maryland. However, NHL betting in Maryland is just as tricky as it is exciting. That’s why we have put together the ultimate how-to guide so that you can feel confident about each and every one of your NHL wagers.
Learn how to place your NHL bets – MD
Betting on the NHL in Maryland is a challenging, potentially profitable, exciting experience that you simply can’t miss out on. Use this guide to capitalize on all that NHL sportsbooks have to offer when it comes to betting on the NHL in Maryland.
Five Of The Best NHL betting sites MD
Now you need to know what MD sportsbooks are the best for betting on the NHL. Don’t worry. We’ve done our homework and can’t wait to share our list of the best MD sportsbooks for NHL betting:
- FanDuel: Are you into props or futures betting? FanDuel Maryland is THE oddsmaker for you. On top of that, both the website and app are easy to navigate. You get top-of-the-line sign-on bonuses with FanDuel, so be sure to add this MD sportsbook to your list.
- DraftKings: Like FanDuel, DraftKings Maryland is another big player in the world of sports betting, offering top-notch customer service, impressive bonuses, and a massive list of NHL stats to wager on.
- BetMGM: An extension of the world-renowned MGM brand, BetMGM MD is where it’s at when it comes to new user bonuses, off-the-charts odds, and number of sports to choose from.
- PointsBet Maryland: The Aussies get it when it comes to money lines. This Australian company is beyond awesome with daily betting perks, has mouth-watering sign-on bonuses, and delivers when it comes to variety.
- Barstool: Barstool Sportsbook MD blog-turned-sportsbook has a lot to offer, like generous welcome offers and plenty of NHL bets to choose from.
How to bet on NHL in Maryland
Now that we can bet on the NHL in the Old Line State, we are pumped. Of course, we’re guessing you are, too, since you made it here. Our goal in this first section is to give you an overview of the most common types of NHL wagers you will see across MD sportsbooks.
Your success depends on making strategic, informed betting decisions, and it starts here with a quick study of common NHL wagers and terms. Before we jump in, however, we are going to show you what a typical NHL betting line will include.
A typical NHL betting line in Maryland
- Boston Bruins Spread: -1.5 (-110) Moneyline -165 Total 4.5 (-110) o
- Washington Capitals Spread +1.5 (-110) Moneyline +145 Total 4.5 (-110)
Understanding this betting line is of utmost importance. All of the information regarding the betting odds, spread, and totals can be found in this strange-looking equation. However, it’s not as intimidating as it looks. Let’s break it down:
- What is the puck line (spread) mentioned after the NHL team name? In this betting line, and pretty much across the board with NHL, the puck line is set at 1.5 goals: -1.5 for the Bruins and +1.5 for the Capitals. This is because the NHL is such a low-scoring sport.
- What do the negative (-) and positive (+) symbols mean? The negative (-) symbol means that the team is the favorite. The positive (+) symbol means that the team is the underdog.
- What does the number beside the + or – mean? This number would represent the odds or payout if you were to win the bet, which is -110 in this case. This number will change depending on the probability that one team or another will win. It could be -115 or +140.
- I still don’t understand how -110 (or other + or – numbers) represents the payout. Can you explain? Yes! So the favored NHL team has a number accompanied by a negative sign. That number is the amount you need to risk to win $100 ($110 in this case). The underdog will always have a positive sign, and the number listed next to it is the amount you will win for every $100 you risk.
- Wait a minute. Both teams have a negative (-) sign next to them – why is that? Sometimes you will see a betting line where both teams have the negative symbol next to them. All you need to know is that the NHL team with the number closest to 0 is the favorite. For example, -110 would be the favorite over -125.
- What’s the moneyline? The moneyline is a type of wager where you bet on who will win the game. The odds work the same as described above.
- What is the total? In this case, the total is set at 4.5. You are betting on whether the total goals scored in the game will be over or under 4.5 goals. The odds also work the same as detailed above for totals (or over/under) betting.
Now you have all of the information you need in order to understand a MD hockey bettting line, and we can jump into the details regarding specifics of NHL bets.
We’ve covered more about the specific types of NHL wagers available in Maryland than you might realize – just by explaining how a bet line works. However, we want to make sure that you have a clear understanding of NHL bets. So let’s sum it up:
Money Line Bets
When you bet the NHL betting in Maryland money line, you are betting on who will win the game outright. So how does a money line bet work?
A sportsbook has the money line at Capitals (-130) and Rangers (+105). If you wager $130 on the favorite (the Capitals) and they win, you make a profit of $100. Say you are betting on the Rangers, and they win. You make a $120 profit on a $100 bet.
Puck Line Bets
The puck line will almost always be set at 1.5 goals. NHL folks just changed the name “point spread” betting to “puck line” betting because it’s basically the same thing.
Over/Under (Totals) Bets
A sportsbook will post the total goal number, and you bet on whether you believe the final total goals will be over or under that number. How does an O/U bet work? You are simply betting on whether you think the two teams will end up with a total score that’s over or under the never posted by the sportsbook.
Sportsbooks offer a wide variety of futures bets to wager prior to the beginning of the NHL season. You can bet on who will win the Stanley Cup in Maryland or how many goals an NHL team will make during the season.
However, the number of plays, goals, wins, and other stats that occur during an upcoming season are all up for grabs when it comes to futures betting. Typically sportsbooks close all futures wagers at the start of the NHL season.
An NHL propositional, or props bet is a wager on specific actions happening during a NHL game. Prop bets are usually based on a yes or no question, such as, “Will Ochevnik score in the first period?” However, props bets can also be tied to totals or futures betting.
Remember when we mentioned simple versus difficult NHL bets? Well, parlay bets are one of the most difficult bets you can make. It’s a combination of two or more bets, and you have to win them all.
So if you parlay the outcome of nine games and lose one, you lose the whole thing. However, if you win, you are looking at a pretty massive payday. Why? Because a bigger risk equals a bigger reward.
How to make strategic, profitable NHL wagers
In this section, we break down how to bet on the NHL. There are not that many steps, but each and every one is critical.
Research NHL players and teams
The more you know, the better. Study the teams and players you plan to bet on. Know their strengths and weaknesses. Have their schedule memorized (or at least easily accessible) so that you know when they are at home or on the road.
Understand how online NHL betting works in Maryland
As you may have noticed in the previous section, there are quite a few NHL bets to choose from. Some are more profitable than others. Some are just plain more fun to bet on. Some are simple, and others are extremely difficult. So start out simple, get some experience, and then dive into the more difficult NHL bets.
Use rational thinking
As hard as your heartstrings may tug at you when you’re considering a certain bet, make sure that it makes sense. Often our emotions can fool us into thinking we are making a great decision when in reality. We are just jumping the gun based on our feelings. There’s no place in NHL betting for emotional decision-making.
Know the odds
Remember when we said to research sportsbooks to make sure you choose a licensed, trustworthy business to handle your money?
Well, the same goes for odds. You want to ensure you are making the most possible money off of each and every NHL wager. So choosing the sportsbook with the best odds for the bet you are placing just makes financial sense.
Thoroughly look into Maryland sportsbooks
Look for a legal, licensed, honest Maryland sports betting site with excellent reviews. You are putting your trust and hard-earned money into their hands, so you need to make sure they are reputable.
Ok, can you help me pick the best sportsbooks for NHL betting in Maryland? Of course. We cover our favorite MD oddsmakers in this next section. Let’s go!
FAQ’s About NHL betting in Maryland
Is the NHL a good sports league to bet on in MD?
If you like quick changes and excessive nail-biting for an hour, the NHL is the right sport for you. In the NHL it is full speed from start to finish.
What is the chance that you will win when you bet on the NHL in MD?
To get a good profit on games in the NHL, it is important to come up with a very good combination game. It is recommended to place a parlay because then the odds are very good.
How do I start betting on the NHL in Maryland?
To begin with, you must register on a sports betting website, then you search for information about the NHL betting in Maryland and who is playing. Try to find as much information about the team you want to bet on before you place your bets.
Is the NHL safe and favorable to bet on?
No bet is ever safe but the NHL is a very favorable league to bet on if you like high odds. If you succeed in putting in the perfect wager, you as a player can get a favorable return.