Anyone who is into horses knows about the Kentucky Derby. This is the biggest event of the year within its category. Ever since sports betting became legal in Maryland, more people are joining sportsbooks to get their wagers in for the Kentucky Derby. So if you want to get in on Kentucky Derby betting in Maryland, keep reading for everything you will need to know.
Guide to Kentucky Derby betting – MD
The Kentucky Derby is only held once a year, so Marylanders will want to get those bets in before it’s too late. If you plan to place a high wager bet, we recommend joining a sportsbook in advance for Kentucky Derby betting in Maryland.
This way, you can pay attention to the results from the prep races and have a better chance at handicapping the races. In this guide, we’re going to discuss what you should look for in a sportsbook, as well as the best sportsbooks to join for Kentucky Derby betting Maryland. We’ll also talk about the different types of bets you can place and what you can do to possibly increase your odds.
Kentucky Derby betting Maryland: What you need to know
On the first Saturday in May, you can watch the Kentucky Derby live on NBC. Watching a race of any kind is always exciting, but the excitement gets real when there’s money wagered on the event. Millions of people around the world tune in each year and put down their wagers on the horse they believe will take 1st place.
Kentucky Derby betting is very straightforward. However, it’s also a bit more complicated than other types of horse races. Every year in the Kentucky Derby, there will be a maximum of 20 horses in the race. When you have to choose between 20 horses to place a bet on, things can get a bit more complicated.
How to make choosing a winner easier
Placing bets online is easy, but choosing a winner isn’t as simple. There is no exact formula to picking out a winning horse. However, there are things you can do before the event to make choosing a winner easier.
For example, a lot of bettors who have been placing wagers on the Kentucky Derby for years will “handicap” the horses to determine who they think will win.
Handicapping is a strategic way of analyzing the horses and their performances before the Kentucky Derby. Every year, the selected horses will have to do a series of preparation races to make sure they qualify for the derby.
As these prep events go on, more results and information will be available. You can use this information to handicap the upcoming Kentucky Derby.
There are many things between the contending horses that should be compared to accurately predict which one will be the winner. It’s important that you compare all of their positive attributes. Don’t stick to only comparing their race results because there are many things that make a horse a good contender.
What to compare when handicapping the Kentucky Derby contenders
- Horse stats
- Charts from previous races
- Class ratings
- Tracks ; bias
- Speed figures
- Horse pedigree
- Jockey and trainer’s stats
- Post position
What type of bets can be placed on the Kentucky Derby
Placing bets for the Kentucky Derby online has never been easier. All types of bets for the Kentucky Derby are very easy to follow. However, in order to win, they must be 100 percent accurate. For certain bets, if you guess the right horses but the wrong order, you won’t receive any winnings.
Once you feel like you’re ready to get those bets in, these are the different types for Kentucky Derby betting in Maryland:
- Win: Keep your bets simple with a win bet. Wager money on which horse you think will come in 1st place. If they win the derby, you win the bet.
- Place: This bet is still a lot of fun but not quite as risky as the win bet. If the horse you choose comes in either 1st or 2nd place, you will win the bet.
- Show: This is the least risky Kentucky Derby betting style. If the horse you bet on comes in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, you win the bet. Although this is the bet with the least risk, it also has the smallest payout.
- Exacta: This bet must be placed in the correct order to win. Place a wager on which horse will come in 1st place and which one will come in second.
- Trifecta: Similar to an exacta. However, in this bet, you place a wager on the horses that will place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, in the correct order.
- Superfecta: If you know how the horses in the derby perform, you may want to try this bet. Place a wager on which horses will place 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the correct order.
- Super High Five: This is the riskiest type of bet in this lineup, but it comes with the biggest payout. Place a wager on which horses will finish in the top five. However, you must predict the horses’ places accurately in order to win.
Choosing a sportsbook for Kentucky Derby betting Maryland
Now that you are more familiar with how to bet on the Kentucky Derby, you’ll need to find the right sportsbook to place those wagers in. We’ve picked out two of the best Maryland sportsbooks to introduce you to today. But, before we get into those, we should discuss what you should look for in a sportsbook.
Security is one of the most important things you should consider. All legal sportsbooks will have an SSL or TSL certificate, which means they have security measures in place to keep your data safe. In addition, you will be able to tell if a sportsbook is secure if there is a closed lock symbol in the URL bar. If this symbol isn’t present, move on to the next site.
While placing wagers on horse-race betting in Maryland makes the event more exciting, winning money makes it worth it. Make sure you review which banking methods are accepted at a sportsbook before signing up. You’ll want to make sure you won’t have any trouble collecting your winnings.
Now that you’re more familiar with what to look for in a sportsbook, here are two of the best Maryland sports betting sites for Kentucky Derby betting online:
TVG Kentucky Derby odds
- New members receive a $300 risk-free bet to use on a single horse event at the Kentucky Derby
- No extra fees to make deposits or place bets
- Kentucky Derby airs live through the sportsbook
- Very helpful customer support
- $25 refer a friend bonus
Twinspires Kentucky Derby betting
- Official betting partner of the Kentucky Derby
- $50 risk-free bet for new members to use on the Kentucky Derby betting lines
- Several resources on the sportsbook to make handicapping the derby easier
- Mobile app for both Android and iOS devices
- Options to place future bets in advance
FAQ’s About Kentucky Derby betting Maryland
Can anyone bet on the Kentucky Derby in Maryland?
Anyone who is legal to place bets in Maryland can place bets online for the Kentucky Derby. However, you must be at least 21 years of age or older to join a sportsbook. In order to verify this, the sportsbook will require your name, email, and birthdate. Some sportsbooks may even require a social security number.
How can I increase my odds at betting on the Kentucky Derby?
Since there could be up to 20 horses in this event, choosing a winner is more difficult. Even if you spend a lot of time doing research to handicapped the game, it’s still a difficult decision. We highly recommend joining more than one sportsbook to increase your odds. This will also give you a chance to take advantage of multiple promotional offers.
Do I have to place high wagers with the Kentucky Derby?
No, the amount you bet on the Kentucky Derby is up to you. It doesn’t matter if you want to bet $1 or $1000. Many people are joining sportsbooks just to get in on the fun. They like knowing that they can get in on the bets without having to spend a lot of money.
What type of bet should a beginner place on the Kentucky Derby?
The good thing about Kentucky Derby betting is that it’s very straightforward. Of course, this will all depend on how risky the bettor is feeling. We generally recommend starting off with a win bet to get a feel for how the betting lines work. While place and show bets are easier to win, their payouts aren’t as enticing.
Where is the Kentucky Derby race held?
The Kentucky Derby race takes place in Louisville, Kentucky. The horses in the race will go through many different preparation races in the US. They will also travel to Europe and Japan for other races to get ready for the big event. The Kentucky Derby races are the kick-off to the Kentucky Derby Festival, which is an annual 2 week event held every spring.